- Celebrate our 50th! 2017 marks the 50th Anniversary of the University City Historical Society. Send us your photos! If you have old photos of the neighborhood you’d like to share, please send them to
firstname.lastname@example.org shared online at Facebook and Instagram. Credit will be given for any photos published in the newsletter.
- New Board Members. UCHS welcomes three new members to our Board of Governors: Heather Calvert, Amy Lambert, Jennifer Loustau.
- Preservation Updates. The Philadelphia Historical Commission met on December 14th to recommend properties for historic designation, several of which are in West Philadelphia.
- Flashback to the 1960s. Locust Street before it was Locust Walk.
- University City Then & Now: Latvian Evangelical Church, 47th and Cedar Avenue (c. 1910 & 2010). Now known as the Greater Enon Baptist Church, this century–old house of worship was formerly known as the Latvian Evangelical Church.
- Profiles in Architecture: J. Elvin Jackson (fl. 1878–1920), examples of his work appear all over Philadelphia, primarily with residential designs in South, West and Southwest Philadelphia.
- Window Talk, a Glossary: "Cames" to "Eyebrow Dormer."