Upcoming Event: Historic Nominations Workshop
Join Us for a Special UCHS Members-only Event
RSVP at Eventbrite
Historic Nominations Workshop
Thursday, Oct 25th, 2018, 6 to 8 pm
Near 48th & Baltimore, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Learn how you can nominate a property to
the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.
Nominating a property for historic designation doesn't require an advanced degree or preservation background. Together we can protect our neighborhood from needless demolitions.
Welcome to UCHS
University City contains the nation's largest collection of intact Victorian housing stock, with three major National Register Historic Districts: Powelton Village, Garden Court, and the West Philadelphia Streetcar Suburb.
Our Mission: The University City Historical Society promotes awareness of the history and architectural character of University City.
The University City Historical Society was founded in 1967.
In the Newsletter
- Saterlee Heights Historic District added to Philadelphia Historic Register
- What Defines a Historic District? (Part 2)
- Proposal: Revised UCHS Bylaws
- Join the UCHS Board of Governors
- Burglary Warning: Recent uptick in thefts from vacant houses
- UCity Then & Now: 3812 Walnut, President's Hall (Eisenlohr Hall) (1940 & 2010)
- View from Yesteryear: Star Hotel on Darby Road (now Woodland Avenue), 1882
- Profiles in Architecture: Robert J. Aikins (active 1891 – 1925
- Learn to Speak Italianate, a Glossary: "Ashlar" to "Lintel"
- Did you Know? Playing fields at UPenn displaced in 1890s by Dormitory Quadrangle.
Preservation Toolkits Overview
Penn Praxis publishes the Neighborhood Preservation Toolkit, which is a free workbook that guides citizens through the nomination process.
The Preservation Toolkit by the Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia is a free, comprehensive set of online resources.
Neighborhood Preservation Toolkit from PennPraxis
Preservation Toolkit from Preservation Alliance of Greater Philadelphia
On the Local Register
UCHS works with our members and sister organizations to nominate properties for historic designation on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.
Nominations are carefully prepared, filled with informative details, and available for viewing online.
On the National Register
Many districts and sites in University City and West Philadelphia have been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
UCHS provides text of many older nominations, which are not yet available in digital format at the National Register.
- What is a historic district?
- West Philadelphia Streetcar Suburb
- Garden Court
- Powelton Village
- Powelton Village Interactive Property Map
- Spruce Hill Historic District
- University of Pennsylvania
- Other Historic Districts and Sites
Date Markers for Your Home
UCHS provides historic plaques found on homes in University City that identify dates of construction.
Contact UCHS about plaque purchase and installation.
How Old is Your Historic Property?
Construction dates for many historic properties can be found in lists of "street-by-street inventories" from nominations to the National Register.
Streetcar Suburb list
Garden Court list