Monthly Archives: August 2011
Although these two adjoining properties are technically in Mantua, they have been nominated because of their historical significance. Because of their type of architecture, it has been determined by the nominator that this building group is the oldest wood clad … Continue reading
Photo Credit: Jas Mundie Hawthorne Hall is a large building on a main thoroughfare– at 3849 Hamilton Street where it intersects with Lancaster Ave, which is recorded as the first road opened in West Philadelphia. Hawthorne Hall was built in … Continue reading
This home is located on 43rd and Pine. It dates from 1889 and it is in the Classical Revival style, in keeping with the other homes on the block. It was nominated because ”the front porch is collapsing and there are … Continue reading
St. Peter’s Church of Christ is located on 47th and Kingsessing. These shots focus on the back of the building, which has windows that are badly damaged.
The Rotunda has just been nominated to the Endangered Properties List. ( An aerial shot of the Rotunda on 40th and Walnut, from universitycity.org) A full history of the Rotunda was found on their website: “Built in 1911 as a … Continue reading
Built by the architect George Savage who lived three blocks down, this church dates between 1909 and 1932, according to the Philadelphia Historical and Museum Commission Database. It is in the Gothic Revival and Art Deco style, and is … Continue reading
This is one time home of Philadelphia architect George Savage, nominated because of his prominent position in the community’s historical development. According to Philadelphia Buildings and Architects, Savage designed over 300 churches during his lifetime and was “succeeded in his … Continue reading