Now Accepting Nominations
2019 Preservation Awards
Nominations will be accepted until January 21, 2019 and can be emailed to George Poulin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nominations are being accepted in the following categories:
- Gift to the Streets Awards: Given for high-quality exterior maintenance, upgrades or restoration of historical features.
- Outstanding Preservation Awards: Given to properties that have received full architecturally appropriate exterior restorations. Partially completed projects are not eligible.
- Preservation Initiative Award: Given to a person or group of people who have acted unselfishly towards the preservation of a building or historical neighborhood resource in University City.
Graphic for Upcoming Event
Join us for our annual Valentine Tea
on Sunday, February 10 at 4pm,
at the Castle (930 South 48th Street).
Welcome to UCHS
University City contains the nation's largest collection of intact Victorian housing stock, with three major National Register Historic Districts: Powelton Village, Garden
Court, and the West Philadelphia Streetcar Suburb.
Our Mission: The University City Historical Society promotes awareness of the history and architectural character of University City.
The University City Historical Society was founded in 1967.
In the Newsletter
- Historic Nominations Workshop: fully attended; monthly series to run through May 2019.
- Save the Date: 2019 UCHS Valentine Tea & Awards Presentation | Sunday, February 10, at The Castle (48th & Springfield)
- Self-guided Walking Tour: take a stroll through Squirrel Hill with a focus on stonework
- UCity Then & Now: 4017 Chestnut, Tabernacle Baptist Church (CCCP) (1903 & 2010), Gothic Revival style
- Ask the Experts: Cracked Chimney
- Profiles in Architecture: HD Prettyman (active c. 1889 – 1910
- Door Glossary: "Astragal" to "U-Factor"
- "Rules for Teachers 1915", from The Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum
On the Local Register
UCHS works with our members and sister organizations to nominate properties for historic designation on the Philadelphia
Register of Historic Places.
Nominations are carefully prepared, filled with informative details, and available for viewing online.
On the National Register
Many districts and sites in University City and West Philadelphia have been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
UCHS provides text of many older nominations, which are not yet available in digital format at the National Register.
Penn Praxis publishes the Neighborhood Preservation Toolkit, which is a free
workbook for guiding citizens through the nominating process and other actions for preservation.
The Preservation Toolkit by the Preservation Alliance for
Greater Philadelphia is a free, comprehensive set of online resources.
Neighborhood Preservation Toolkit from PennPraxis
Preservation Toolkit from Preservation Alliance of Greater Philadelphia
Date Markers for Your Home
UCHS provides historic plaques found on homes in University City that identify dates of construction.
Contact UCHS about plaque purchase and installation.
How old is your historic property?
Construction dates for many historic properties can be found in lists of "street-by-street inventories", compiled from nominations to the National Register.
Streetcar Suburb list
Garden Court list